Third Ebola Case Confirmed In Northwest Congo

0
203
Doctors with bacteriological protection suits preparing medication for sick woman

Health authorities have confirmed a third Ebola case in the city of Mbandaka in the northwest Democratic Republic of Congo, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday.

WHO on Twitter said, the 48-year-old man is a high-risk contact of the first patient, who died on April 21.

The current outbreak is Congo’s 14th in the history of hemorrhagic fever.

Health workers started Ebola vaccinations last week in Mbandaka, the capital of Congo’s Equateur province.

Responders have identified 444 contacts of the confirmed cases and are monitoring their health, the WHO said.

Congo’s equatorial forests are a natural reservoir for the Ebola virus, which was discovered near the Ebola River in northern Congo in 1976.

The country has seen 13 previous Ebola outbreaks, including one in 2018-2020 in the east that killed nearly 2,300 people, the second-highest toll recorded in the history of hemorrhagic fever.

DRC authorities declared a new outbreak in the country’s northwestern Equateur Province on April 22.

By Reuters

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here