- Advertisement -spot_img
HomeMatters DisabilityStudents With Disabilities Urged To Apply For Funding

Students With Disabilities Urged To Apply For Funding

- Advertisement -spot_img

BY KNA’s Kibe Mburu /Daizy Chebet

The National Council for Persons with Disabilities (NCPWD) has called on students with disabilities to apply for the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) Funds to enable them to pursue their studies at their respective institutions of higher learning.

The HELB funding in collaboration with the NCPWD grant will fully sponsor students with Disabilities enrolled at universities, colleges, and Technical Vocational Training Education Centers (TVETS).

Speaking to Kenya News Agency, Kericho County Disability Services Officer Ms. Hellen Tuei revealed that the NCPWD grant will offer a 55 percent grant. In comparison, the HELB will cater for the remaining 45 percent of bursary funds for students with disabilities.

“Students who have been selected to the national schools are more expensive and thus through the memorandum of understanding between the National Council of Persons with Disabilities and the Higher Education Loans Board they try to get sponsors for them in whatever school they go,” said Tuei.

 Ms. Tuei intimated that the bursary funding would tremendously assist the students with disabilities, noting that most come from humble backgrounds with strained finances.

“Parents with students with disabilities struggle a lot to pay school fees and I hope they will apply for this funding which will come in handy since the students are bright and gifted” added Ms. Tuei.

The Disability Services Officer further said that most students with disabilities are gifted in technical skills such as hairdressing, tailoring, and carpentry while a good number also have the ability to pursue university courses.

“They are just like ordinary students and can fit in various courses whether in university or TVETs and now that the funds are available, I know they will benefit,” Tuei remarked.

Other grants available for persons with disabilities include Faulu Scholarship which sponsors high school students while Uwezesho supports students who have parents with disabilities.

“We do follow-ups on our students and most of them have been successful through these schemes. I am one of the products of the NCPWD having been through Kenyatta University and now working as the County Disability Officer. Most of the students have succeeded and are now teachers, electricians, great business people, and farming personnel.” Said Hellen Tuei.

- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
Stay Connected
Must Read
- Advertisement -spot_img
Related News
- Advertisement -spot_img


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here