State to Resume Construction of Stalled Itare Dam

State to Resume Construction of Stalled Itare Dam

The National Government will resume construction of the stalled Itare Dam in Kuresoi North, Nakuru County, once consultations with various stakeholders are complete and a new contractor identified.

Tourism Principal Secretary Ms Safina Kwekwe said the state is working closely with the project’s implementing body, Rift Valley Water Works Development Agency, local community members and leaders to address issues that stalled the construction which had been scheduled for completion by April 2021.

Ms Kwekwe, who led a special team of top government officials in inspecting public-funded projects in Nakuru County, acknowledged the project had faced an array of challenges ranging from compensation, alleged flawed procurement processes and numerous court cases.

“The concerns raised over the project that stalled in September 2018 when the contractor left site citing financial reasons are being dealt with and a new company will soon be given the green light to complete the project. The state is committed to amicably ironing out all thorny issues,” indicated Ms Kwekwe.

Speaking at the dam’s construction site, the Tourism Principal Secretary stated once complete, the multi-billion project will provide clean drinking water to about 800,000 residents of Nakuru County. The dam is expected to yield 100,000 cubic meters of water per day.

Ms Kwekwe was accompanied by Principal Secretaries Nelson Marwa (Social Protection), Professor Paul Maringa (Infrastructure), Engineer Peter Tum (Labour), Ambassador Peter Kirimi Kaberia (Mining) and Ambassador Simon Nabukwesi (University Education snd Research) and Deputy Head of Civil Service Wanyama Musiambo. Also present were Nakuru County Commissioner Erastus Mbui Mwenda and Njoro Member of Parliament Charity Kathambi Chepkwony).

The team also directed truck drivers using the newly completed Mauche-Bombo-Olenguruone-Kiptagich-Silibwet Road to adhere to the harmonized East African Community (EAC) axle load regulations and check on overloading that destroys roads.

At Itare dam, the team established that the contractor, Cooperativa Muratoi Cementisti Di Ravenna completed only 30 percent of the work including dam foundation, treatment plant, outlet tunnel and pipeline, leaving out almost 70 per cent of the work. CMC Di Ravenna filed for bankruptcy three years ago.

Experts indicated that the pending works at Itare dam could take another one and a half years for a new contractor to complete.